I incorporate the merquén (a Chilean chili blend) syrup into both the chicken batter as well as the finishing drizzle of syrup all over the dish before I take a bite. The syrup does have some kick so I just pour a little regular maple syrup over Bennett’s portion instead (the addition of the syrup to the chicken batter doesn’t make the chicken spicy but just adds the perfect amount of smokiness). One of the elements I am most proud of in this recipe is the Apple Cider Waffle! It makes an incredibly delicious breakfast just on its own and is a fantastic choice when entertaining!
I hope you guys enjoy!
Smoky Fried Chicken and Apple Cider Waffles (recipe serves 4)
1 1/2 lbs chicken tenderloins
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Runamok Merquén Infused Maple Syrup (or your favorite chili-infused or spicy maple syrup)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh apple cider
Some fresh chives at the end to pretty the plate.
1. Begin by making the chicken. Whisk buttermilk and syrup in medium bowl. After washing and drying chicken, add chicken to a large ziplock bag. Add buttermilk-syrup mixture to bag and mix, making sure it is properly covering chicken. Place in refrigerator and allow chicken to soak and least an hour and up to 24 hours.
2. When ready to fry chicken remove chicken from fridge and bring back to room temperature. Heat 1 1/2 inches of peanut oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat (I use a dutch oven). The oil is ready for frying when it reaches 365-370 degrees, but I just do the wooden spoon test (insert a wooden spoon into hot oil and if oil bubbles around it it’s ready).
3. While oil is heating prepare the dredging mixture by whisking together flour, baking powder, paprika, garlic salt, salt and pepper in dish or medium bowl (I always use a pie plate).
4. Working in batches cover the buttermilk-syrup coated chicken with the flour mixture and fry 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through. Then place chicken on a wire rack with paper towels underneath to cool.
5. Then begin making the delicious apple cider waffles by preparing your waffle maker and spraying with non-stick spray.
6. Prepare waffle batter by whisking flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined in large bowl. Then add eggs, vanilla extract and apple cider and continue to whisk until combined. Pour waffle batter into waffle iron in batches and cook according to manufacturer’s directions to achieve a delicious golden waffle.
7. Serve chicken atop waffles and pour on some delicious Merquén Infused Maple Syrup (or regular maple syrup if you can’t take the heat). I also like to add some fresh herb like chives to add some color to the plate (I don’t like an entire plate of brown food).